Friday, May 7, 2010

Fresh from the garden


Unocchio's Strawberry Rhubarb Soup

Now that may look like Campbell's Tomatoe Soup in the Campbell's Tomatoe Soup bowl but I guarrantee it is not. Some year's ago when Ben was attending CCA in San Francisco he introduced me to cold soup... otherwise who know's if I would have every tried it. So now we start to harvest things from the garden and it's time to eat..... Jim has rhubarb, asparagus and onions growing out there and is ready to plant other things. We help eat as they ripen... no use letting anything go to waste :-)
Here's how we made the soup:
2 cups freah strawberries
1 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb
a cup of water from the well
a couple tablespoons of xylitol
1 fresh apple
another cup of water
 a little cinnamon

I heated up my pan that the manufacturer calls a wok (but Ben says it is not a wok)  and brought to a boil the strawberries, rhubarb, cinnamon and the first cup of water...... after the boil started I reduced the heat to simmer until the fruit was tender... about 20 min +/-.
After it cooled, it went into the Vitamixer until smooth.
While that was cooling I cut the apple into quarters and placed it and a cup of water into the Vitamixer and made apple juice which I cooked a little while.
After everything was smooth and cool and stirred together, I placed it into the refridge until the next day..... of course it only needed to stay in there until it was cold but I did not want to be eating strawberry rhubarb soup at 3am.
There it is ... simple, easy, delicious.
Grow something and eat it... even if it needs to grow in a pot in your window.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment